Wednesday, March 6, 2013

February Watched and Read

Watched:

We're totally obsessed with the weirdly hilarious and offbeat  Suburgatory

Side Effects: Jude Law was excellent in this. 
Warm Bodies: The kid from About a Boy is so cute now.
He just makes you go, "aw"


But as importantly we QUIT watching:

Glee
Last Man Standing
Vampire Diaries *sigh* after all these years!
FaceOff

And shows that are on the bubble
(in other words I'm thinking I might be done with them soon)

Dallas

Being Human



READ:

The first three books of Gallagher Girls series. They are simple, sweet YA novels where the girls are smart, fierce, independent and pretty normal - for spies. I passed them on to my 14YO son who is devouring them too. Note: these aren't edgy in the least.

The world is extremely well-developed and you can tell that an enormous amount of thought went into every detail.  That said, I wish Brin had held back on the description a bit as I found the endless descriptive pages (Life or the colored light wall come to mind) to be a little tedious.  The main character also gets knocked unconscious an awful lot. To the point where I felt like he had her get hit in the head every time a scene change was needed. ">What I loved was how you couldn't help but place yourself in the book and wonder what it would be like to live in that world, what kind of niche you would carve out for yourself, how would you handle the challenges faced.


I really loved this book. It as a wonderful continuation of the story of Pearl, May and Joy. Often brutal and heartbreaking, the vivid nature of the story telling transported me to China during The Great Leap Forward. One thing that struck me was how much the book felt like a retelling of Animal Farm using beloved characters in place of the animals. I mean that as a compliment.
">Note: This book could stand alone if a person hadn't read Shanghai Girls but you'd miss out on the transformation that Pearl goes through

8 comments:

Tara said...

I too have given up on Glee. Tried watching the BBC version of Being Human and just could not get into it. I will check out Suburgatory now, and am reminded I need to re(re-re-re) watch Pump Up the Volume soon!

Hoping all is well in your world - and that the craft show went well!

grrlpup said...

I love these posts! I'm going to try the Gallagher Girls; it sounds right up my alley. :)

Bec said...

I quit Vampire Diaries (got a little too intense) and Last Man Standing (too political/the replacement daughter was awful!). We loved Warm Bodies and I immediately made my husband watch About a Boy with me :)

Carmen said...

In complete disagreement with Tara... the BBC Being Human is the original and best - stop messing with our stuff, we watch yours so you watch ours! :D saying that - it went off the boil and should have ended 2 seasons ago.

I'm just getting into Suburgatory but I don't think they are playing consecutive episodes or I am watching them out of sync or something...

Devvie loved Warm Bodies and reckons it's another spin on Romeo & Juliet? I have yet to see it but it looks fun.

we are into Revenge season 2 at the mo - well Devvie and Craig are I'm just guilt tripped about family time if I don't watch.

I'm waiting for Once Upon a Time season 2, Walking Dead season 3, a new zombie BBC show which is "coming soon" but I forget the name... um... oh yeah, I so need to check Grimm out on DVD. It sounds so good!

Tiff said...

I enjoy reading your watched and read! I am SUPER excited about the return of Game of Thrones! I stopped watching Supernatural as it was a Hubby and me sorta show. Now, when I watch it, it's depressing. I also enjoy Girls, Shameless, and my guilty pleaser, Raising Hope! I recently read Me Before You and I thoroughly enjoyed the love-story turned morals/ethics debate.

Tiff said...

I enjoy reading your watched and read! I am SUPER excited about the return of Game of Thrones! I stopped watching Supernatural as it was a Hubby and me sorta show. Now, when I watch it, it's depressing. I also enjoy Girls, Shameless, and my guilty pleaser, Raising Hope! I recently read Me Before You and I thoroughly enjoyed the love-story turned morals/ethics debate.

Stephanie Jane said...

I love heathers and pump up the volume. I really want to read this Lisa See book as well. I'm just getting back into Glee I like it so much more no Rachel isn't in it every week. I gave up on Vampire dairies years ago x

Sharath kumar said...


latest status for whatsapp
girls whatsapp numbers