Friday, June 17, 2011

Chocolate Pecan Bars


Chocolate and Pecans are one of the great food pairings and my Chocolate Pecan Pie has been my signature dessert for about fifteen years. That said, sometimes you want to mix things up a bit. Plus bars have such a summery, go-on-a-picnic feel to them. Yum.

I found this recipe at Jam Hands who adapted it from Food.com. Here's my version, there are several tweaks employed to make it my own.


Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
Makes one 9" x 13" pan

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter, melted

3 large eggs
3/4 cup blend of light corn syrup, maple syrup and golden syrup. If you don't have all three, or prefer one over the other make your own mix, choose just one - the sky is the limit. This is my favorite flavor combo.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (original recipe calls for 2 cups so you can use more if you like)
2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped (or a little less. That's quite a lot)
1 tsp bourbon - or 1 cap as we like to measure it. Vanilla is fine to substitute.

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line bottom and sides of a 9×13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Supposedly you shouldn't have to, but mine stuck like crazy!

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 1 stick room-temp butter, brown sugar, flour,and salt until coarse crumbs form. Pour mixture into prepared pan; press firmly into bottom.



3. Bake until lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Let cool, 10 minutes.


4. Meanwhile, in same large bowl, mix eggs, syrups, granulated sugar, and 2 TBS melted butter and bourbon until well combined. Add chocolate chips and pecans; spread over crust.


5. Bake until set, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely in pan before lifting out (use foil to lift). Cut and serve.



Note: I didn't include a calorie breakdown on these divine sweets - some things are best left unsaid.

4 comments:

chksngr said...

NOW you're speakin' my language sister!!! I love this sort of thing...chocolate pecan bars are SO YUMMY!!!

Ashley Newell said...

Oh my gosh! Pecan pie is my FAVORITE!!! I need to try these! Pinning them now.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

these look YUMMY!!!

www.StarHughes.com said...

Yum, these look delicious! I love pecan bars - so adding my favorite ingredient, chocolate, must make them even more delicious!
Star Hughes Living